So I actually have a ton of work to do right now for my 9-5 … thus, this will be brief. Maybe I’ll come back later to add some context and some links…but in the meantime check out the several Atlanta culinary establishments and personalities that are semi-finalists for the foodie equivalent of the Oscars.
While Atlanta lacks the culinary depth of a place like Chicago, we do quite well at the top. The JBAs certainly seem to agree with me on the second part of that statement.
As an aside: we launched two-months ago today – and I really wanted to write a thank you post and include a little prize for one lucky reader. I don’t have the time right now, so make sure to check back over the weekend (or perhaps Monday) for that post! Okay, onto the list!
Best Chef, Southeast
- Hugh Acheson, Five and Ten, Athens
- Arnaud Berthelier, The Dining Room at the Ritz-Carlton, Buckhead
- Linton Hopkins, Restaurant Eugene
- Hector Santiago, Pura Vida
- Pano Karatassos, Buckhead Life Group
Outstanding Chef (National)
- Scott Peacock, Watershed, Decatur
- Anne Quatrano, Bacchanalia
Best New Restaurant:
- Holeman and Finch Public House
Rising Star Chef of the Year
- Kevin Gillespie, Woodfire Grill
Outstanding Pastry Chef
- Aaron Russell, The Chocolate Bar, Decatur
- The Dining Room at the Ritz-Carlton, Buckhead
Not a bad showing if you ask me. I’m a bit surprised to see Santiago on the list; however, I won’t fault someone for getting some recognition like this! In case you want to see all of the nominations, here is the full list of 2009 James Beard Award Semifinalists (pdf)