If chef Kevin Gillespie is still an unknown to you at this point – I’d be shocked. Even if you don’t find yourself wrapped up in all things food – he is hard to miss. Complete with a pig tat and a stunning resemblance to Yukon Cornelius, he’s got a style that’s distinctly his own.
Outside of the 404, he’s probably best known as one of the studs on this season of Top Chef. In town, we all know him as the loveable legatee of Woodfire Grill. With his pension for seasonal ingredients, farm to table cooking, and simplistic excellence, Kevin is one of the many people trying their best to make Atlanta something other than an afterthought on the national food consciousness. Still in his mid-20s, the guy cooks and speaks with a confidence beyond his years.
Those are just some of the reasons why I’m pleased as pork to have one of the magnanimous leaders of Atlanta’s culinary scene take the time to chime in here. Anyone who has ever heard Kevin talk will probably find some of these answers predictably comforting (the guy loves him some pig!). If you haven’t had the opportunity to check out Gillespie’s food … GO NOW!!! In the meantime, sit back and enjoy his. And with that, welcome to ITCK!
1. What is your favorite ingredient? pork
2. What is your least favorite ingredient? hazelnuts
3. James Beard Award or Michelin Guide star? They are so different. To me, the James Beard Award is for personal achievement, doing something unique or contributing to better the industry. Michelin is about the restaurant – it’s a judgment on consistency.
4. What turns you off? half-ass attempts (at anything, not just cooking)
5. What is your favorite curse word? fuck
6. What one item must you have in your kitchen? a selection of high quality oils and vinegars
7. What one item would you ban from your kitchen? unnatural flavorings – like Liquid Smoke
8. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? nuclear engineer
9. What profession would you not like to do? social media and public relations
10. You are faced with the choice of selecting your last meal, what’s in it? barbeque. ethereally good barbeque
About Inside The Chef’s Kitchen
ITCK is a weekly series featuring an Atlanta area chef or culinary personality. It is based on the Proust Questionnaire and inspired by James Lipton’s Inside The Actors Studio. You can find all the posts here on FoodieBuddha.com by clicking here. Also, you can follow it via twitter at #itck.